Chicken Tortilla soup with roasted eggplant
1 tbsp. Avocado oil
1/2 onion, diced
3 carrots, cleaned and diced
A small chunk of ginger, chopped
1 can (16 oz) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken bone broth (I used Kettle & Fire)
2 cups of filtered water
½ cup of canned coconut milk
2 bay leaves
Salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp cumin
2 chicken breast
1 medium-size eggplant, diced & roasted*
To Garnish: Scallions and GF tortilla chips (optional)
1. In a medium size pot heat up oil and saute onions, carrots and ginger.
2. Cook vegetables until fragrant, and onions are translucent.
3. Add chicken breast and cook/saute together for 5min, turning chicken around few times.
4. Add bone broth, water, salt, pepper and spices including bay leaves.
5. Cover and cook for about 20min, or until chicken is cooked through.
6. Lower heat to simmer and carefully take out the chicken and shred in a separate dish.
7. Return shredded chicken back in the pot along with the roasted tomatoes and coconut milk.
8. Cook an additional 10min.
Roasted eggplant is optional but I strongly recommend making it for the full experience of this delicious soup. I recommend starting the eggplant before you start the soup as it will be ready at the same time as the soup.
1. Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with the parchment paper.
2. Wash and half peel a large eggplant.
3. Toss diced eggplant in 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp garlic powder.
4. Roast in the oven for about 30min.
5. Set aside if done before the soup.
Serve warm soup topped with roasted eggplant, crumbled tortilla chips and chopped scallions.